It’s that time of year, folks … the time for joyous reunions over classic family recipes, shellacked cornucopias, and vegetables suspended in Jello.
For many Boulder-ites leaving “The Bubble,” Thanksgiving can be a particularly trying time … Where are the world class trails? Where’s the sun? How can I stick to my gluten-free/paleo/non GMO-diets?
If you’re hosting a Boulder-ite for Thanksgiving this year, we thought we’d prep you so you’re not caught off guard. Here are some things you might hear:
- 1. “What are you doing putting that Tupperware in the microwave?! We’ll get BPA poisoning!”
2. “Is this turkey free range and organic?”
3. “Does anyone want to run a quick 10K with me before breakfast?”
4. “Oh … I’m not really doing sugar right now.”
5. (When watching Macy’s Parade): “Do you know there’s a worldwide helium shortage right now? I can’t believe they still do this.”
6. (Reading the back of a Stouffer’s stuffing box): “I don’t even know what half of these ingredients are.” (sigh) “Mark Bittman says…”
7. “Oh… I’m not really doing gluten right now.”
8. “Don’t you have any craft beer?”
9. “What?! You don’t have curbside compost or recycling?”
10. “Do you know how the gelatin for these marshmallows on your yam casserole is made? Here, watch this short video on my iPhone.”
If any of these things sound like something that you would say, take a deep Ujjai breath before you lash out at your loved ones. Seriously, if you’re eager to get your family to take on more sustainable behaviors this holiday season, remember to support, not educate people in their process of change.
Want more tips? Well looky here… our mini guide for brands could also help you!